Grapevine Team Guidelines
To produce and distribute every quarter a magazine for the circle dance network. Arising from
this, to collect the content and handle adverts, arrange and supervise the layout, typesetting,
printing, and posting-out of the magazine with leaflet inserts as required.
- The Editor and/or Editorial Team have licence to recruit a team and to organise the
division of labour, as they think right. This may include sharing out the editorial work,
and making practical and policy decisions for the magazine, on content (text and artwork),
design and production. There should be someone nominated to sign off proofs for press and
someone (who should be a director of the Company to have final responsibility for the budget,
making payments and keeping the accounts.
- The duties of the team will depend on how much the editor her/himself is qualified to do
and wishes to undertake. For example, one team member may take responsibility for the listings
of teachers, musicians, etc, another for the diary dates, and yet another for groups, venues
and resources. The subscriptions secretary (who also has a role with regard to teacher
insurance for the network) has an important role in his/her own right and within the team
(see Subscription Secretary Guidelines). Other members of the team may manage the posting-out
and recruit others to help. The design may but need not be out-sourced to a commercial firm,
depending on the skills of the team, but the printing would be out-sourced.
- At least one and preferably two members of the team must be a director of the Circle
Dance Friends Company Ltd and be directly accountable to the Company. This is for legal,
financial and practical reasons.
- In consultation with the Team the Company directors will decide the magazine's operating
budget for the year and the Team is answerable to the Company for the costs incurred in the
production of the issue.
- The Team may commission articles and has responsibility for decisions about the content,
format and length of each issue, and for keeping costs within the budget.
- The Team must maintain a consistent policy and practice with regard to accepting both
advertisements for inclusion in the magazine and leaflets for insertion and distribution
(services to the network that provide a further source of income).
- There is an obligation to keep in touch with the focaliser of the next directors' meeting,
and a director from the team or a fully-briefed member of the team must be present at every
Company meeting. Failing this, a report and financial statement should be sent.
- The Team holds the Grapevine archive and maintains it in good order as a resource for the
network and for handing on to the next Grapevine team.
The Team manages the magazine for a minimum of two and a maximum of four years.
Lindsey March and Pat Adams
Revised Pat Adams October 2005 and July 2010